Mothakam or Kolukattai as it is called in south India,is a steamed sweet bun version of chinese momo. According to Hindu religion, Mothakam is the favorite dish of Lord Ganesha,the supreme God of all Gods.It is said in stories that Lord Ganesha was very fond of this dish and all his devotees would provide him the dish to please him.
|1.||Kolukattai Flour||1 Cup|
|4.||Chana dal||1/2 Cup|
|6.||Grated coconut||3 Tbsp|
- Wash the Chana dal with water.
- Take Chana dal in a pressure cooker .
- Add water to the chana dal and allow it to boil for 1 whistle.
- After the whistle,release the pressure completely and drain all the water from the chana dal.
- Allow chana dal to cool down completely.
- Take chana dal & cardamom in a mixer jar and grind it.
- Take jaggery in a vessel and add little water.
- Melt it completely to get the jaggery syrup.
- Filter the jaggery syrup and add it with Step1 mixture.
- Fry the grated coconut for 5minutes in low flame.
- Add fried coconut with the chana dal,cardamom and jaggery syrup mixture.
- Now pooranam is ready for stuffing into the mothakam
- Add Ghee and salt to kolukattai flour.
- Now add boiled water little by little and make a dough .
- Flatten the dough.
- Place the pooranam in the middle and fold it in the shape of ball .
- Use steamer or idly cooker to boil the mothakam(from step4) for 10-15 minutes.
- Take out the mothakam and serve it.
Tasty and divine Mothakam Ready…