” Happiness is eating rasam with dal “-Unknown foodie saint.
Pepper rasam or Melaghu thippili rasam ,a common household dish of south indian states.The history of rasam dates back to 15th century ,the period of pandya kings who ruled over present-day Madurai regions.A bowl of hot rasam is steamed in every household of Tamil nadu, kerala , Andhra ,Telugana and Karnataka. The traditional claims of Rasam or chaaru to treat cold,cough,sour throat and digestion problem ,is scientifically proven with various studies based on the ingredients added.There are different varieties of rasam or chaaru made in each of the 5 states and most common are thakkali rasam,pepper rasam or melaghu rasam,Inji rasam,Mysore rasam ,kerala special rasam,Jeeriga saaru or rasam,ginger rasam etc…
Let us learn how to make tasty and healthy Pepper rasam which on finishing will tempt to drink it at that instant.
|1.||Tamarind||1 medium lemon size|
|3.||Garlic cloves||7-8 nos|
|4.||Green chilly||2 nos|
|5.||Curry leaves||As required|
|6.||Coriander leaves||As required|
|7.||Red chillies||2 nos|
|8.||Black pepper||2 tbsp|
|10||Cumin seeds||1 tsp|
|12.||Fenugreek seeds||1/4 tsp|
|13.||Coconut oil||1 tbsp|
|14.||Refined oil||1 tbsp|
|15.||Turmeric powder||1/4 tsp|
The Path to Pepper Rasam:
- Soak the lemon size tamarind in water for 1/2 an hour.
- Grind the dry ingredients (black pepper,long pepper,cumin seeds),garlic cloves and green chilly into coarse powder.
- Heat coconut oil and refined oil in a pan.
- Add mustard to the heated oils.
- After mustard gets burst, add fenugreek seeds.
- Add curry leaves,red chilly,turmeric powder and asafoetida.
- Add the grinded coarse powder and saute it.
- Now squeeze the tomato into the sauted mixture.
- Add 1 1/2 cup water and give a light stir.
- Add required salt.
- When rasam starts to boil in the corner, add coriander leaves.
- Add sugar and switch off the stove.
Tasty and Healthy Pepper Rasam is ready to serve. Have a cup of rasam to enjoy the flavour before dipping it with rice.Enjoy the taste and healthy benefits of the Pepper Rasam.